AMTRAK | ARRA Program Management and Construction Management
Under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), Amtrak received over $1.3 billion in stimulus funding to invest in improving its aging infrastructure. SYSTRA worked with Amtrak to execute this fast-tracked Program and worked in compliance with the ARRA guidelines and deadline of completion, February 17, 2011.
The Program consisted of nationwide program management, procurement, preliminary design and construction management services for 286 infrastructure improvement projects located in 46 states. SYSTRA also managed, procured, and administered the design and construction of rail bridge replacements projects, utility improvements, maintenance facility upgrades, track work, security enhancements, and various ADA Accessibility and State of Good Repair station improvements.
An expedited contracting strategy was developed that allowed the Projects to be built over one full construction season and meet the ARRA February 17, 2011 completion milestone. Keys to the contracting strategy were the pre-qualifying of a large pool of contractors and awarding regional design-build contracts on a guaranteed maximum price (GMP) basis.
The Program required extensive coordination with 10 host railroad organizations and hundreds of third-party owners. The Program Team helped coordinate all track outages to minimize rail operational impacts and also verified that work was performed in accordance with each Host Railroad specific design and construction requirements.
Program staffing peaked at 220 people plus the Design-Build Contractors work forces. The Program Team consisted of 60 people in the core group who managed and performed Program related functions out of Philadelphia. Design was performed in multiple offices and consisted of 40 people at any given time and the Construction Management staff peak at 120.
The Program Team was successful in exceeding the ARRA plan goals of DBE (10%) and SBE (25%) participation by achieving a combined participation of 46%.
A/E Design, Construction Management and Inspection Services Projects:
- Contract 1001 – NE Stations – 13 Station and ADA Upgrades
- Contract 1031 – MN & ND Stations – 14 Station and ADA Upgrades
- Contract 1004 – Boston South Station Renovation and Shop Upgrades
- Contract 1033 – NW Stations – 22 Station & ADA Upgrades in MT and WA
- Contract 1005 – Penn Station Renovation and Sunny Side Yard Roof Rehab
- Contract 1034 – West Coast Stations – 26 Station and ADA Upgrades in CA
- Contract #1029 – Gulf Coast Stations – 33 Station and ADA Upgrades in TX, AR, OK, LA, YN
- Contract 1036 – SW Stations – 14 Station and ADA Upgrades in AZ, NM & UT